✍ ✍ ✍ Exam Mayhem in May ✍ ✍ ✍

05:56


It's that time of the year again, where students across the country are at war with their finals whilst resisting the temptations of the good weather outside. In two weeks, first year will have skipped by! Before that though, I've got to sit through my last few exams.

I've taken a step back this month to give myself more time to prepare, nevertheless is has been an interesting month with some healthy distractions. Here are three I'd like to share with you...

Paraiso Costume Launch
Paraiso School of Samba, of which I am a proud member, put on a showcase of all the beautifully designed costumes for this year's carnival season. The night was kicked of with traditional pagode style samba from the amazing band Quintal Do Samba.


The separate sections that will then make up the procession of about 500 odd people representing the school had representatives modelling their costume for this year.

I was lucky enough to sport the costumes that the bateria (drummers) will be wearing for Notting Hill Carnival this year. Sounds weird, but I can't tell you how happy the band is that we've finally got pockets on a parading costume now!
Modelling the costume for the bateria this year at Guanabara
© Dex L Photography
Working for The Challenge
I just finished up the last round of training for a role in the summer as a Music Practitioner for The Challenge. The Challenge is a programme financed by the National Citizen Service that helps put Year 11 leavers in touch with their communities through volunteering.

The programme typically lasts for 3 weeks. The first week consists of team building activities between the groups of participants. The second week, where my role comes in, involves the groups visiting community partners and interacting with them using a skill they learn from the practitioners (art, music, sport, media and drama) as the basis to kickstart their conversations.


I will be working with many groups across the summer, teaching a simplified version of samba to Year 11 leavers across North London. I'm quite excited for this role as I was on the programme myself after finishing secondary school and I look forward to hopefully serving as a positive role model and perhaps helping to spark an interest in samba among the groups I teach!

Woodward BBQs
The amazing team at Woodward (which I will be part of next year) put in two amazing BBQs this month! A large majority of those at Woodward (the university accommodation) will be finding new places to stay and it was really nice to get everyone together before the summer. Also who can say no to free food and drinks?!

© Andreea Otilia Şuiu
There is a strong sense of community here at Woodward and I look forward to helping to nurture that next year with the team of wardens, sub-wardens and hall seniors.

© Andreea Otilia Şuiu
I hope you have all enjoyed the bank holiday weekend!  Wish me luck with my exams.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images